Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Beginning


I am currently preparing to run a mega dungeon titled, Spiderweb in the corner.  It will be run using GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.

Why a new campaign?
Until recently I was running a GURPS/Shadowrun conversion, that, while fun, really wasn't what I had hoped it would be.  I had designed it as a sandbox style game,with hopes for lots of intrigue and interaction . Most of my players weren't looking for that style of play.  They really enjoy a more hack and slash game. Over on his blog Dungeon FantasticPeter V. Dell'Orto, had an excellent post on this subject, find it here. Rather than force that game into a different mold, I opted to change out.

Why a Mega Dungeon?
The group I play with attendance is spotty. Episodic games work well. Playing a mega dungeon allows for that. One of the ground rules for the campaign is that each session will end with the PCs back in town.  They will not camp in the dungeon. I have two reasons for this. One, it just makes it easier when players can't show up. Two, it gives the opening and closing scenes the feeling of opening and closing credits in a movie or television show, further reinforcing the episodic nature of the game.

I have never run a purely mega dungeon game.  I have run a more standard fantasy game, that had some large dungeons in it, but never a pure mega dungeon. It is something that has always interested me, and I think it will be fun.

So there it is in a nutshell.  Further posts will describe my development process, the resources I used, the social contract and expectations of the game, and game play reports.


No comments:

Post a Comment